Supporting asylum seekers and refugees during ESOL (English for Speakers of other Languages) classes.
Click the tabs to reveal more information or click the button below to download the role description
Supporting the learner(s)
- Clarifying and explaining instructions.
- Ensuring the learner is able to use necessary equipment.
- Motivating and encouraging the learner.
- Assisting in areas of specific weakness, such as speech and language or writing tasks e.g. support the reading of challenging texts.
- Providing frameworks for writing and recording work.
- Helping the learner to concentrate on and complete work set.
- Helping the learner complete their Individual Learning Plan
- Providing verbal and written feedback to the tutor on any difficulties the learner is experiencing and how it has been addressed in the session.
- Administration support during the course.
- Developing appropriate resources to support the learner or adapting/ differentiating material to meet the needs of the learner.
Skills and qualifications required
- Good level of English spoken
- Good communication skills
- Good active listening skills
- A people person
- Work well with and contribute to a team
- Able to use your own initiative
- Self management
Time commitment and location
- Weekly Commitment
Training and support
- Training will include an introduction to RETAS services and direction will be given during the course by our Tutors
- Regular volunteer events to share ideas and socialize with volunteers and staff.
- Supervision with the volunteer co-ordinator on a quarterly basis.
Benefits to volunteer
- Feel that you are helping people make a successful transition into the UK.
- Meeting people from different cultures.
- Part of a thriving charity.
- New skills for your CV including time management, active listening skills, supporting people in a challenging situation.
- Make friends.
- Potential to move onto other volunteer roles.
- Experience of volunteering in the UK.
- Full training program.