Welcoming new asylum seekers to the city of Leeds and facilitating pathways to their integration.
Click the tabs to reveal more information or click the button below to download the role description
The role involves taking a group around Leeds once a week for 10 weeks.
- Registering clients with RETAS.
- Following a set program, you will support clients to find their way around the city.
- Supporting clients to develop their digital skills to help them find their way around.
- Signposting information on support groups, leisure activities and other community groups.
- Ensuring the client is aware of all RETAS services.
Skills and qualifications required
- Good level of English spoken.
- Good communication skills.
- Good active listening skills.
- A people person.
- Work well with and contribute to a team.
- Able to use your own initiative.
- Self management.
- Knowledge of Leeds.
Time commitment and location
- Office based (233-237 Roundhay Road, LS8 4HS) & various locations around the city.
- 3 hours a week for 10 weeks - we usually run 4 groups a year.
- Travel expenses are provided.
Training and support
Training will involve:
- An introduction to RETAS and knowledge of the asylum process
- Guidelines on running sessions externally
- Identifying and carrying out risk assessments
- Regular volunteer events to share ideas and socialize with volunteers and staff
- Supervision with the volunteer co-ordinator on a quarterly basis.
Benefits to volunteer
- Feel that you are helping people make a successful transition into the UK.
- Meeting people from different cultures.
- Part of a thriving charity.
- New skills for your CV including time management, active listening skills, supporting people in a challenging situation.
- Make friends.
- Potential to move onto other volunteer roles.
- Experience of volunteering in the UK.
- Full training program.